Onions build strong and long life for Humans- here are 8 great benefitsPosted By: Rutayisire Patience - On:02/06/2017
Here’s a quick glimpse at their incredible health benefits:
1.The phytochemicals in onions along with their vitamin C help improve immunity.
2. Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
3. For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
4. Do you enjoy sliced onions with your food? If yes, rejoice! Raw onion lowers the production of bad cholesterol (LDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
5. A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
6. Got stung by a honeybee? Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
7. Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
8. Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, so do use them often.
Which type of onions are the healthiest? Researchers from Cornell studied 11 onion varieties, and found that shallots and Western yellow onions were the healthiest for their phenolic and flavonoid content.
There are different ways to enjoy onions such as to slice them really thin, squeeze some lemon juice on top and add a little salt. Sprinkling a few freshly washed cilantro leaves adds fragrance and flavor to this simple, quick salad.